This was written for my Advanced Public Speaking class. We had to introduce a famous person. This assignment assumed that the person was still alive, and that the subject would be speaking publicly.
- Today, I will introduce one of the most influential people of the twentieth century.
- She is known for being one of the leading sex symbols of her day
- Yet, she also wished to be known as more than a pretty face, but a serious, talented actress.
- That person is Marilyn Monroe.
- Monroe was born in Los Angeles in 1926 (Doll, 2007).
- She did not have a stable, happy childhood.
- Her mother was mentally unwell.
- Her father never acknowledged her as his own daughter.
- Her mother became unfit to raise her, and so Monroe was often in foster care, or cared for by friends of the family.
- At age sixteen, she got married, and soon after that she began a modeling career as a result of her work in a parachute factory during World War II but after she began her modeling career, she got a divorce, and turn her efforts to to becoming actress.
- Years of hard work paid off, and Monroe was signed to 20th Century Fox.
- Monroe became a huge star with 20th Century Fox, with much emphasis on her sexy image (Doll, 2007).
- Some of her hit films included Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, How to Marry a Millionaire, and The Seven Year Itch.
- However, Monroe did not feel happy about the roles she was given, and she sought more challenging work, not wanting to play shallow, sexy dumb blonde characters.
- She moved from Hollywood to New York City and studied at the Actors’ Studio to learn how to become a serious dramatic actress.
- She also established her own production company, Marilyn Monroe Productions.
- Following the success of The Seven Year Itch, she signed a new contract with Twentieth Century Fox, granting her creative control over the films she appeared in.
- Following her appearance in the film Bus Stop, Monroe proved that she was serious dramatic actress with considerable depth.
- From then on, Marilyn Monroe was viewed as not only a sex symbol, but as self-sufficient and intelligent woman who was very good at her field.
- To conclude, it is clear that Marilyn Monroe is more than a pretty face.
- She is a woman who knows what she wants out of her career, and she showed that she has the talent and skill to make it happen.
Doll, S. (2007, August 29). Marilyn Monroe’s Early Life – HowStuffWorks. Retrieved February 9, 2015, from http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/marilyn-monroe-early-life.htm
Doll, S. (2007, August 29). Marilyn Monroe’s First Movie Role – HowStuffWorks. Retrieved February 9, 2015, from http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/marilyn-monroe-early-career.htm
Doll, S. (2007, August 29). Marilyn Monroe in ‘How to Marry a Millionaire’ – HowStuffWorks. Retrieved February 9, 2015, from http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/marilyn-monroe-later-career.htm